There are fourteen jurisdictions in Canada - one federal, ten provincial and three territorial each having its own occupational health and safety legislation. For most people in Canada, the agency that you would contact is the provincial or territorial agency in the area where you work. There are some exceptions to this. Federal legislation covers employees of the federal government including Crown agencies and corporations across Canada. Where can I find out about my duties in Canadian legislation?

Author:Nibei Mezikazahn
Language:English (Spanish)
Published (Last):10 March 2018
PDF File Size:10.70 Mb
ePub File Size:14.42 Mb
Price:Free* [*Free Regsitration Required]

Where can I purchase Codes and Standards? Codes and standards can be purchased through a number of resources, such as the provincial Learning Resources Centre , Canadian Standards Association , and the National Research Centre. Where can I find out more about the Permit Regulation? Information and a guidelines handbook to assist users with the permit regulation can be found on this page: Permit Regulation and Guidelines. When do you need a permit? A variety of local bylaws and provincial regulations govern when you need a permit.

This may also vary with the specific circumstances surrounding your project. It is always best to check with the authority having jurisdiction before starting any new work. These authorities will be either the local municipality or the province, or you may choose to ask one of the accredited agencies. What type of work requires a permit?

Benefits of obtaining a permit The major benefits of obtaining a permit are knowing that the installation will conform to the safety standards that have been adopted under the Safety Codes Act, and that inspection s will be provided by certified safety codes officers. What services can I expect to receive for a permit? Where can I get information about other kinds of permits?

For information regarding obtaining permits and licences required to start a business, please visit BizPaL, a free, online service. BizPaL - online source for business permits and licences. Where can I get a permit? Permits are available through municipalities that are accredited to administer the Safety Codes Act, and through agencies who provide inspection services on behalf of the province in non-accredited municipalities.

Find out where to purchase a permit in your area. For information regarding the construction and operation of pressure equipment, contact the Alberta Boilers Safety Association.

Contact the Alberta Elevating Devices and Amusement Rides Safety Association regarding the construction and operation of elevators, ski-lifts and amusement rides. Information on permits, management of, and decommissioning petroleum tanks can be found at Petroleum Tank Management Association of Alberta. What is eSite? It is a user friendly information and work management system for issuing permits, and tracking, scheduling and assigning permit related activities.

To learn more about eSite, visit the eBS page under the Organizations tab.


Act & Regulation



OHS Legislation



Alberta Fishery Regulations, 1998


Related Articles