Temi I hope at least you can see something! There is a way to operate it without the RF unit, by placing a couple jumpers, one to start the unit and another one to select TEST mode. So I cleaned and resoldered it carefully In that case, the manual calls for mahual Manual Calibration Procedureexplained also there. So I decided to get all cards out and carefully clean them and the card cage I am now reinserting them In previous steps, signal keeps inside the graticule but in this one, it is all over the hp of it So unit kind of works!!!.
|Published (Last):||4 April 2019|
|PDF File Size:||12.92 Mb|
|ePub File Size:||17.87 Mb|
|Price:||Free* [*Free Regsitration Required]|
It is so heavy that engineers at HP had to split it into two units so that they could be moved by a single person relatively easily. Even so, the two units weigh in at more than 50 pounds each. And because it is so heavy, shipping damage is common for these used units if you could buy one locally, it is probably the safest way to go.
Mine is also no exception. My units arrived in two separate boxes. I was shocked at how poorly they were packed. The boxes had gaping holes on them — probably due to the rough handling during shipping — and I could hear rattling sound in one of the boxes due to broken handles and other lose components.
Alas, the typical cardboard boxes are not properly rated for the weight of these heavy equipment. But I was eager to bring the unit back to a working condition and did not want to risk the possibility of me inadvertently damaging it further during the teardown and re-assembly. There he took some very detailed pictures down to the board level. Although it was a A not a B, you can at least get an idea of what each individual board looks like.
So for this post, I will keep everything at a high level only. The back panel looks identical to the display section for the earlier A. All the test points and adjustable components are clearly marked so the unit could be easily serviced by cross referencing the service manual. The picture below shows the bottom side of the display section: And here are a few more closeups of the bottom side. The display section seemed to have survived the brutal shipping handling pretty well, except for the slightly bent top cover which made the initial removal slightly difficult.
Everything else checked out well and seemed to be in fairly good shape consider the age of the unit. Now moving to the analyzer half of the unit B. The picture on the left below is the top view of the analyzer section after the top cover is removed. Only a few test points can be seen on this side. Some test points and screw designations are overlaid on a piece of plexiglass mounted on top. Besides the two dark spots on the ribbon cable due to dust settling over heat generated by some components underneath, the inside looks surprisingly clean.
The closeup of the first converter is shown in the picture to the right. Here to the left is a picture showing the inside after flipping the analyzer over and removing the bottom panel. The picture to the right shows the closeup of the second converter.
Below are a couple of closeups of the detector and PLL section: As I mentioned earlier, there was some rattling noise inside the shipping cardboard box for the analyzer unit. The noise was partially due to the two snapped off handles hitting against the case. It became apparent after I removed the cover to the three controller assemblies that at least two of these cards had become loose, this could have also contributed to the rattling noise.
I pulled out the A15 controller board and checked the voltage of the backup lithium battery. The battery still measured at 3. I guess that this spectrum analyzer was just removed from some test facility recently.
Typically, these batteries are rated for a service life of 3 to 4 years. One good thing about the B is that, according to manual, the battery is only used to maintain instrument states, error correction data and downloadable programs and it does not affect the calibration of the instrument when the battery is depleted.
After the initial visual inspection and having re-seated all the loose cards, I powered on the unit powered without any issue. All the correction data looked good, well within the 1 dB range. To the right is an image showing the MHz dBm calibration signal after I ran it through the calibration routine.
The picture to the left below shows the 2 GHz signal with frequency modulation.
HP8566 MANUAL PDF
Migami Everybody suggested it was a matter of failed capacitors in the YTO control boards. See each listing for manuak shipping options and costs. Skip to main content. Unfollow hp service manual to stop getting updates on your eBay Feed.
EB5AGV's Workbench: HP-8566A repair
It is so heavy that engineers at HP had to split it into two units so that they could be moved by a single person relatively easily. Even so, the two units weigh in at more than 50 pounds each. And because it is so heavy, shipping damage is common for these used units if you could buy one locally, it is probably the safest way to go. Mine is also no exception. My units arrived in two separate boxes.
Here you have all of them, one by manuzl I carefully cleaned the edge connectors, added some contact cleaner, reinserted them and hoped for the best Format see all Format. It is the Z-axis circuit. Then I have seen that someone had replaced air filter element with a foam which is clearly not good for that purpose, as it manal airflow a lot. Checking block diagram, I see there is a different circuit from So I have temporarily removed it and temperature has gone to reasonable levels, but still very hot. There is one adjustment in each of the five filter stages. Condition see all Condition. So, all in all, it seems we are progressing: I hooked the calibrator and And, yes, all were OK except for the suspicious one, which was open: Turn off email alerts.